Senior Software Engineer - Networking
Base Location: Histon, Cambridgeshire, U.K.
We are building a self-healing microwave Mesh network operating at 60 GHz connecting high-speed internet to/from homes and 4G/5G small cells into a fibre-optic core network. This is a great opportunity to get in at the start of the development in a start-up environment. We are located close to the guided busway/cycleway in Histon, 1-mile North of Cambridge.
The Senior Networking Software Engineer will be part of a small software team which is defining the networking which is resident in each of our embedded nodes running Linux. This role is focussed on developing both custom and standard networking enhancements which efficiently route traffic through switches at carrier grade quality.
You will have a broad software development remit. This is likely to include:
- Setting up and controlling hardware and software switches at multi-Gbit speeds
- Implementing QoS and load balancing techniques
- Documenting and testing the code you produce
- Debugging and fixing issues found in test
- Opportunity to see your code deployed on live networks
Skills & Experience required:
Enthusiasm, flexibility and the desire to work in a small dynamic team are more important than specific technical skills, but you will probably have significant experience of:
- Embedded C development
- Knowledge of multi-port hardware switches
- Familiarity with Linux based development environments
- Layer 2 Networking including Ethernet switching, VLAN configuration, QinQ, etc.
- IPv4/v6 networking concepts and administration including routing, NAT, firewall, etc.
- Python and other scripting languages
And it would be useful if you knew something about:
- Network devices and services (e.g., routers, switches, firewalls, load balancers, VPN, QoS)
- Revision control systems (git)
- Layer 2/3 routing protocols
- Virtualisation frameworks
- Able to work indefinitely in the UK