Senior Software Engineer – EMS Backend
Base Location: Cambridge, U.K.
The Software Engineer will be part of a small software team which is defining the intelligence which is resident in each of our embedded nodes running Linux in a distributed architecture. The job will include in particular the onward development and support of the Management System (EMS) for our product. This role involves developing back end server functionality written in Python and Go based around a NoSQL MongoDB.
You will have a broad software development remit. This is likely to include:
- Digest high-level customer requirements and architectural guidance from the team to produce back end server functionality
- Become an expert in our network management system
- Identifying opportunities to make technology-driven operational and process improvements
- Developing of new products and products’ features
- Documenting and testing the code you produce
- Debugging and fixing issues found from live field deployments
- Assist in the day-to-day team work in an agile development environment.
Skills & Experience required:
Enthusiasm, flexibility and the desire to work in a small dynamic team are more important than specific technical skills, but you will probably have significant experience of:
- Google Go development
- Knowledge of NoSQL such as MongoDB
- Layer 2 Networking including Ethernet switching, VLAN configuration, QinQ, etc.
- IPv4 networking concepts and administration including routing, NAT, firewall, etc.
- Linux based development environments
- Python and other scripting languages
And it would be useful if you knew something about:
- Network management
- Revision control systems (git)
- Knowledge of Linux including network setup and configuration
- Experience of unit testing and continuous integration
- Able to work indefinitely in the UK.